Friday 4 March 2011

Oh The Parents!

The more and more I am reading this book the more I am learning about the relationship between the parents and their daughters and the how the community thinks about a particular situation. I have realized that Mrs. Lisbon really does not like to talk about Cecilia's cutting incident. Quite honestly, no parent would like to talk about that but when asked they usually come out with the truth. Mrs. Lisbon however is not talking about and instead avoids it. In the hospital a rather intresting scene unfolded. Mr. lisbon saw a picture and when he turned it over it said,
"The Virgin Mary has been appearing in our city, bringing her message of peace to a crumbling world. As in Lourdes and Fatima, Our Lady has granted her presence to people just like you. For information call 555-MARY." (pg 12)
Upon reading this Mr. Lisbon was enraged and said "We bptized her, we confirmed her, and now she believes this crap."
This shows that the Lisbon parents know that they made mistakes but can often times be extremely stubborn. Even after bringing Cecilia home the Lisbon shut themselves inside their house.

There is one character I have come across that I have grown fond of. Paul Baldino reminds me of the boys I went to school with in the sixth grade who thought they knew everything about girls just because they read one COSMO magazine. Just the way Paul sees a tampon and suddenly thinks he's better than the other guys just because he has seen one and the others have not. Although, Paul can be annoying he is funny to me because he brings back memories and his dialogues like "I saw  the movie, I know what it's about. Listen to this. When girls get to be about twelve or so"-- he leaned toward us-- "their tits bleed". That dialogue made me laugh because a) I was not expecting that AT ALL and b) it's funny to hear that from a young boy who wants to impress his friends by knowing things they don't about girls and keep his bad boy image.

1 comment:

  1. Look up the allusion to Lourdes - can you make any more thematic connections after your research?

    ReplyDelete